Friday 29 June 2012

Grayling.

After a few unsuccessful fly fishing outings this spring/summer, Kim and I got wind of a grayling river northwest of the city. Because I did not know the first thing about grayling, I relied on the internet and wholesale outfitters for fly advice. With the exception of the Griffith's gnat, all the recommended flies were the same as those I already stocked up on for trout - thankfully.

It took about 2.5 hours to get there and within five minutes I hooked into my first grayling (using a Griffith's gnat).

















It was then Kim's turn to get into the action (with a Parachute Adams)

 














It was one of those outings where there was no point in counting fish. Every dry we tried elicited a response and I am guesstimating that we averaged a fish rising every four casts - for five straight hours.












What was super cool is the grayling did not seem to spook and I am sure we caught the same one multiple times.




7 comments:

  1. What is this, a fashion blog?!

    Can someone comment about our awesome fish?!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Nice looking fish. And the hats too. Wish we were there. Have to make another trip to Edmonton.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, yes, great fish, you catch any with flies you guys tied? But, also, can we please get some objectivity on the level of distraction that Aaron's hat brings to this post? I mean I have seen fish before, but that hat is a little over the top, and probably deserved its own post if you want people to take the fish seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here you go, Joe:
    I haven't even read the post. Every time I try, Aaron's hat forces me to lose track of where I am and I have to start over. So distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Killer. I've yet to catch a grayling on the fly. Wanted to, but never had the appropriate hat for it.

    ReplyDelete