Thursday 4 April 2013

Northern Treasures


Oh, hello SSS.  It’s been a long time.

This post is short but sweet.

I didn’t do much field work this winter, but when I was up north I purchased some northern treasures.  Behold.
 
 

 
When homeless people first move indoors, they move into white trash houses.  This is a muskox hide, by the way.
 
 
And this is a wolverine.  Pretty spectacular throat markings.

Wolverine paws are really big.
 
Wolverines are really big.
Look away!  I’m hideous!

 
I was hoping to get the wolverine mounted, but he’s pretty old and slightly balding.  It was really hard to see this when the wolverine was a frozen block still in the trap, but pretty clear once skinned out.  You can see this a bit in the second pic with Otis.  I was told this would look ridiculous when mounted so he's now a wall hanging.  Maybe next year for the mount (I keep reminding Andrea that one can never have too many wolverines).

We’re thinking of what to do with the muskox - perhaps round off the hide and put a backing on to make a couch blanket.  The problem is that while the qiviut is insanely soft, the guard hair is pretty long and flowy and makes it feel like you’re snuggling up to a full head of someone else’s hair.  Which is weird and not particularly cozy.  
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Those are sick.

    For the wolverine - did you buy it direct from a trapper and go out with him OR is this a story not for SS&S?

    Let me know what you do with the muskox, I was planning something similar with my bear but not sure what to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing - how would the Muskox hold up as a rug?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, no dicey story. I bought it from a guy who works for us doing seismic line stuff. His actual given name is Trapper. Seriously. I'd asked around last year but there was too much work in the area and folks didn't trap as much. This year we didn't start or seismic program until much later in the season and folks trapped pretty hard in the down time. When I got up to Norman Wells this year Trapper said he had 2 and I could choose. This one was about 35 pounds, the other was a small female, about 25 pounds. She had an outstanding diamond, but no chest markings and was pretty small.

    Yeah, the muskox is a tough one. It would for sure hold up as a rug, but it seems a shame to use it that way - the wool is so soft and warm. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, oh those pictures of Otis are hilarious. Please let him be your model for each and every skin/shed/piece of animal you retain from here on out.

    ReplyDelete