Sunday 28 July 2013

Holarctic musings

One of the advantages of moving to Sweden is that is shares much of its flora and fauna with the homeland(s).

In terms of fish and bugs, I can therefore pull from my disjointed repository on how to fly fish up-and-over here (I guess just over for Oliver).

I have had the urge for a few weeks, but no vehicle prohibited anything overly ambitious. I settled for carpooling to a stocked lake just east of Uppsala and renting a row boat. I grew violently ill from this faux fly fishing expedition (could also have been the snus). Something had to give. What did I do, you, the faithful SS&S readership, asks? I will tell you what I did:

I bought a fucking Volvo.

No need for a photo. It gets us from A to B aka home to the river. But seriously, Kim and I felt this was a good investment if we wanted to properly tour Sweden and the surrounding countries. Plus it is a Volvo.

While Kim was away in Italy, I decided to head northwest to see what I could find. I ended up here:


I settled on the municipality of Alvdalen, which translated means river valley. Seeing that all of us contributors (I apologize to the excluded SS&S readership) honed our research skills at the U of A, I was aptly prepared to find fish in this foreign land (google: fly fishing + Sweden). I did ask around at the fly shop, but in somewhat typical Swede fashion, I got only uninformative one liners from the guy at the desk.

I did, however, have a few destinations in mind - x marks the spot:


I had no set plans, just get up there, find water, fish, and make camp. The latter turned out to be pretty easy. Swedes, of course, have randomly placed shelters across their hinterland:


Night one I polished off two indian packs, a bottle of port, and slept with no fly on the tent.


Oh wait, there is the Volvo



Swedish infrastructure is incredible:  you go from pristine roads to one-lane (40 km) groomed gravel roads - in the middle of a forest - that meet up with another maintained two lane gravel road which in another 30 km leads you to a good asphalt road. These seem to zig zag across the country and I only passed a handful of cars.

I won't even try to describe this landscape. Just come see it for yourself.

But back to the fish. The intraweb told me tales of grayling and browns, but all I landed were some variety of whitefish (D ID?)


Sweden is in a serious drought right now and water levels are very low - I suspect this is why I only got these guys + I have no clue how to fish for browns. But regardless, it was a fun two days of fishing with enough action (and snus) to keep you on the water for 8 hours at a time.

We plan to head 200 km further north with Joe and Lani (mid august), if not sooner.

Sorry about the photos, I only have my shitty IPhone at the moment, and you know what they say about IPhone cameras...

7 comments:

  1. 1. way to push my first post this year down as soon as I post it

    2. are you baiting me with that title?

    3. river looks fucking awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Ditto on Joey's comment #2. Also, can we please please please have a picture of you in your skinny jeans standing with the Volvo. Preferably with your haircut freshly trimmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit. Computer fuckup just ate my well-considered comment. Gist:

    a) that looks a lot like a juvenile European grayling, though the whitefish choices are pretty wide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fish_in_Sweden#Salmoniformes_.28Salmon-like_fish.29)

    b) having a car makes the world suddenly larger and more full of possibilities (at least, it did for me when I brought the Saturn out to Edmonton). Perhaps some hjort- or algjakt in your future? This guy probably needs help killing things: http://www.youtube.com/user/kristofferclausen/about

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oliver THANK YOU. I literally spent hours trying to figure out if it was a grayling. My only hiccup was it's dorsal fin was nothing to write home about and it did not immediately remind me of the ones I caught in AB. I literally pulled up the dorsal fin of every one I caught. Given what is known about this river it would make way more sense for it to be a grayling. What in particular makes it look like a juvenile grayling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha - after messing with so many of them, it's more a grayling-gestalt thing than any one particular feature. The scale pattern's familiar (though it's rather lighter on black spots than the Arctic grayling I'm used to), the eye-mouth-face arrangement (and especially the iris shape, eye colour and gum colour) looks right, and juveniles don't have a remarkable dorsal at all. Mouth looks a bit more terminal than the Arctic grayling here, but not so that it's wildly different. I can also imagine it feeling like a grayling (more toughly scale-armoured than a whitefish, with thicker-feeling scales), but that's getting pretty esoteric.

    How's that, Joe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elk Hair Caddis, green-wire Copper Johns, red mini Money Bugs, and very small dark Pheasant Tail Nymphs and black/red chironomids tend to knock them over around here, btw. Some people swear by Peeking Caddis, too, but I don't particularly like 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice boys!! Aaron, love the post. Must visit. Miss you guys. Second djt's comment...

    Oliver, I miss your encyclopedic ways...well, and you in general.

    ReplyDelete