Monday 11 November 2013

Trans-Atlantic Migrations ( + Product Review)

I made a quick trip to la belle province last week.

In between a conference and seminar I managed to sneak off for a quick (24hr) hunting trip just north of the Maine border in the QC Appalachians. I stayed at Steeve's cabin, which perhaps not surprisingly, bears much resemblance to Caw Ridge. In addition to hunting, we had a bit of work to do on the cabin so Steeve kept me well fed:


This is venison, caribou, and wild boar (shot in texas) - also this was for one meal.

We were hoping for ducks, geese, and grouse: only the latter cooperated. It was a little too late and too cold for the migratory guys - although I did see thousands of snow geese just west at lower elevations.

Having not hunted for over a year, it took me a while to get into the groove:


I was using a Rossi 410 - this gun to be exact. This gun is amazing for two reasons: i) it has an interchangeable 22 barrel; and ii) it easily fits into a backpack. This will be my next gun purchase for sure.

Back to the hunt: after a little warm up...  I took to walking with the safety off (I forgot how quick grouse flush). Eventually I succeeded. This ended up  being the most expensive bird of my life: aka a $90 non resident permit.


Having little time to prepare a meal, I opted to return to Scandinavia. 

Examining our Swedish icebox revealed fresh truffles (Kim bought from Italy) and pasta. A meal worthy of a ninety dollar bird?










1 comment: