Saturday 1 November 2014

Moose Bulgogi

It has been a while since I put up a food post, but it has also been a while since I had a bunch of wild meat in the freezer.

I've been on a bit of a kimchi binge, so am pretty much constantly looking for things to eat with it. I remember some pretty lavish bulgogi meals in Edmonton, so thought I would give that a shot. I found this recipe, and followed it. I used a few bottom round steaks which I sliced thinly while they were still a bit frozen. Asian pears were hard to find, so I substituted another nameless variety. It seemed to work. I also added toasted sesame seeds because they are delicious. 










The meat marinated for a couple of hours in the fridge, then was seared hot and fast. Those of us with opposable thumbs made lettuce wraps with kimchi, enoki mushrooms, pickled vegetables and cucumber. They were very good. I think next time I would make some kind of Korean spicy mayo too, if that is a thing. I am not yet at the point where I am making my own kimchi, but will get there soon. Anyone got a good kimchi recipe to let me in on?










3 comments:

  1. I occasionally go on a bulgogi binge, eating it several times in as many weeks. It's a good flavour mix for burgers, too (though I skip the carrot, then).

    My kimchi's a variant of this: http://norecipes.com/recipe/kimchi/ (and I just threw out the overmature dregs of it tonight - my fridge is breathing a still-pungent sigh of relief).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost made a comment about how Oliver is on more than just a binge with kimchi, and then I noticed who the author really was for this post. Did the smell emanating from Oliver's fridge release a hidden desire for this wonderful food?

    OEB - smoked the bacon the other day. Salty, fatty and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can send bacon in the mail, right?

    ReplyDelete