Monday 28 February 2011

Retro post 3

The worst part about moving to a new place is you can't hunt. But, the best part about Colorado is that there are a shit load of elk. Elk is actually the only tag you can get over the counter, but it is ridiculously busy here during the hunting season. 3 of the people who live out where I do my field work got elk and I helped them pack it out so I got quite a bit. 2 of them each got a cow and a bull. We also got some meat from a cull they did in Southern Colorado. I am pretty pissed- I have to take a hunter education course to get a licence, they won't accept my AB one.


Elk liver is a lot bigger than deer

It does not taste good, no matter how may onions

We made an Argentinian style flank stank stuffed with prosciutto and a bunch of other shit


a much larger piece of meat was required


but it was still really good

with mushroom risotto


This is my study site

and species



and capture method



6 comments:

  1. I envisioned your study site more mountainous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also what year was that deer photo taken in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pre-cooked flank pic is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks a bit like a steak in a fruit hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. more trees than i thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah its more rugged than it looks there and less treed but it is not really mountainous it is about 100 km from what you would call real mtns. deer pic was this december, does it look old?

    that was a 3 lbs elk steak and we latter realized the recipe called for 5 lbs

    ReplyDelete