Monday 28 February 2011

Whitefish weekend

We went ice fishing this weekend. Gull Lake has easily 24 inches of ice but I put new cutters (apparently that is their name) on my auger so I got through with no problem.


We caught a bunch of whitefish. Pink rice really seemed to bring them in. We also had a few others on and saw maybe 10 more. Things pretty much stopped with the whites after 2 pm.



The bottom guy weighed 3 lbs 7 oz.  Cleaning them is pretty straight forward.


I then made a broth. I read not to put gills in fish broth as it can leave a bad taste behind. I added all the usual broth shit and simmered it for 4 hours.



It tastes half decent.

5 comments:

  1. I'm curious about the rice - how did you use it? I've been having terrible luck with whitefish this year (as compared to last year, when I was hauling them in). Do they come in while it's falling, or are the attracted to it on the bottom (and do you release a little bit fairly frequently, or just pile a bunch of it on the bottom)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the above. My pseudo-cousin from Ontario told me about it.

    White rice sort of worked, but I thought we might as well try dying it as they were hitting red hooks.

    I can not really say they are attracted to it BUT I did see numerous whites eat them as they were falling and for about 2 hours it was consistent activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seemed like we'd often see some swim by just after we dropped the rice in, and we (and by we I mean Aaron) would get a bite soon after. But that's a pretty damn unscientific, biased set of observations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another unscientific observation - the pile of rice on the bottom was NOT positively correlated with number of catches.

    ReplyDelete