Saturday 1 October 2011

Fall Hunting 2011: Or Finding out Things I need

1) A dog.

Last week I was hunting north of Bonnyville. It is an insane flyway and since I could not legally hunt deer, I decided to go for a few ducks.  To get close enough to shoot,  I waded out to an island and crawled for 100 meters across mud, goose shit and rocks. When I got to the edge of the island I popped my head up only to find I was still 50 yards away from the group. I shot at the closest group and managed to bag three - I then had to wade 60 yards out in mud and water up to my waist.


2) A truck.

For the second year in a row I have had to put a deer in the Civic's trunk. I am visiting Phil up in Cleardale and I shot this doe at 20 yards yesterday.


It is now hanging in a local mennonite's cooler - they are charging me 10 bucks per day.

And I am forgetting the the best part. I have cleverly depicted the events leading up to shooting the deer using google maps and the pin feature.  


Keep in mind Phil lives the middle of nowhere so the truck took 2 hours to get there. Kim's tire was rusted on solid which meant I could not pry it off - hence the need for the tow. However, Ron the tire guy lived right on the edge of crown land which is where I decided to go once the tire was plugged. Rather serendipitous in the end I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. The cooler charge is more expensive than the deer tag. I miss Alberta...

    I was hoping the photo was going to be a deer strapped to the roof of the Civic.

    Congrats on the doe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure that is a deer? It looks like an over-sized rabbit. You should get it tested for CWD. Sweet use of the pin feature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cooler was sweet. It was attached to their garage complete with meat hooks and straps for hanging.I will probably only have a rabbits worth of meat if I can't get the temperature down in my shed. My plan is to strap ice packs to the deer tomorrow afternoon and process it in the evening or Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete