Saturday 29 October 2011

New gun

So with the hunting season fast approaching my hand was forced and I purchased a new gun. I was going to go with a Tikka T3 7mm but the gun alone was $700 so I shot lower and bought a Marlin XL7S 30-06 with stainless barrel and synthetic stock.


I got a Redfield scope- 9x40. They are a Denver-based company owned by Leupold and apparently have quality scopes for good prices- $150 for the scope and it is definitely brighter than the Bushnell Elite that I had on my old gun.



The trigger is adjustable, something I will never use, but it looks cool.


The barrel end is recessed- I have no idea what this does, but again, it looks cool



Reviews I have read are all positive and say it is comparable to the mid-lower end Remington 700s. The recoil pad is better than my old gun but I have not shot it yet so not sure exactly how it will be. The big plus is that it is only 6.5 lbs, way lighter than my old gun. My major concern is that you have to load through the receiver- there is no magazine.



Going out next weekend for 4 days, probably with about 3,000 other people.


6 comments:

  1. Nice new toy/tool. That scope looks pretty sweet.

    What are going for this year? Deer? Elk? Both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deer and elk- I have a doe and a cow tag for the unit outside of Rocky Mountain National Park. It is between 8,000 and 13,000 feet and the weather forecast is for snow and cold (~-18C).

    ReplyDelete
  3. i recommend hunting with a shirt on in that case...

    HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A recessed barrel crown seems like a good idea - my understanding is that even slight damage to the crown can have radical effects on accuracy. I've gone the stainless/synthetic route myself, and while I've always preferred the look of wood stocks, I'm extremely happy with my new rig (especially after putting it in the river).

    Post some paper, if you get out killing some targets.

    Contemplating whether or not to post a shirtless new gun photo...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you get anything or did you scare everything off with your hairless, pasty white chest and undersized nipple?

    ReplyDelete