Tuesday 15 November 2011

Tom Yum Lota

After my recent salmon head soup experience, I was eager to try it again. A nice big burbot I caught this Sunday (Dezadeash Lake is awesome) gave me the opportunity. Tom Yum!

Shiny new pot, full of a burbot

If this were eXistenZ, I could turn this into a gun

I simmered the burbot head and rack for 20 minutes, then broke them down to edible parts and set them aside.

Less meat here than you might expect

Then, I added the other ingredients (except the lime and burbot belly) for another 20 minutes in the broth. Not pictured, but added, were lime leaves and straw mushrooms.

I need better lighting in my kitchen

I cut the belly into strips, popped them in the simmering broth for a minute, then tossed in the reserved meat, added some more fish sauce, and added lots of lime juice.

Not as surprising as salmon head soup, but entirely edible

If I had a bottle of Chang, were sitting in a plastic lawn chair, there were geckos on the wall, and the air smelled vaguely of wet towel, this would be pretty Thai.

2 comments:

  1. that takes burbot fishing to another level

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it took me this long to give you your due for that eXistenZ reference.

    ReplyDelete