Friday 23 December 2011

Man-crafts #2 - Leather mitts by ABAS

For the past three years I have been getting my deer skin turned into leather at Halford Hide. I love the store and the clerk has assured me that all the tanning is done in Canada.

At ~$6 per square foot, each hide costs around 65 dollars. It takes about 8 months to get done but is well worth the wait.

A while back I picked up a mitten pattern at Halford's. For Christmas, Kim and I decided to make mittens for the family. Here are some of the final products:


The mit on the left was the prototype and hand sewn by yours truly. As I imagine Mark can attest to, hand sewing leather sucks. The pair took close to 10 hours to complete - contrast that with the 60 minutes it takes to do by machine. That said, the hand sewn mit looks a lot better as you can control the leather and seams a lot easier (it just looks nicer). But one hand sewn pair was enough, and we did the rest by machine.

In total we made 8 pairs of mittens, which took ~2 deer skins and a few evenings of work. We shrunk the pattern for the Shafong ladies.


I have already worn mine ice fishing and in -30 degree weather.

3 comments:

  1. I am impressed by:

    a) the gloves

    b) this blog post's ability to travel backwards in time

    Wish I had easier access to tanning services - I'd love to have some hides around to make stuff out of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are sick!

    Interior material is fleece or wool? If not wool, do you think recycled sweater material would work as a liner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% for the recycled sweater - the middle and left mits are the same material which was a woven fleecy material, and even called sweater at the store.

    ReplyDelete