Tuesday 15 March 2011

How I like mallard (return to Kosher Korner)

A meal that harkens back to last fall, and a morning that resulted in a mallard.

(*stock photo of Oliver retrieving duck, does not
reflect exact events of aforementioned morning)


I've taken to treating most of my ducks the same way - breasting, and removing the legs. The legs go in the freezer for eventual stew, and the breasts go in the pan.


To do the duck breasts I use a few thin slices of Serrano ham (Spanish prosciutto), fresh figs, olive oil, red wine, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, brown sugar and butter.


The duck breasts are wrapped in the Serrano ham then sprinkled with black pepper. I let them sit for a few minutes while i heat the olive oil in the pan. I did some thinly sliced roasted potatoes with the duck, which lurk in the background.


I sear the duck at very high heat, until the Serrano ham is browned on both sides, then transfer the duck to baking dish. The dish is either a) set aside if the searing has also cooked the duck to my liking, or b) finished in the oven. I like the duck rare, so usually go with option a).


Next, the pan is deglazed with the wine and balsamic vinegar until reduced by half. Then I add figs and butter, peppering and brown sugaring to taste. If the balsamic vinegar is sweet, the brown sugar amount is much less.

Finally, the duck breast is sliced, and the fig red wine reduction is spooned over it.


Good.




2 comments:

  1. Check that - 2 falls ago. This took place in the old kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmm...and for the record has not been made since! I am jealous and suddenly hungry.

    ReplyDelete